Untamed Tours Inc is offering something new:
Untamed Outdoor Education
Rock Climbing has been a passion of ours, but without proper certified guides to teach in the North we haven’t been able to offer climbing courses…until now!
We have teamed up with ACMG Apprentice Climbing Guide, Ethan Woodside. We met Ethan last summer when he lead our two groups through the Fox Via Ferrata in Nordegg. His cool demeanor, dry humor and willingness to work with our group’s challenges stood out and we are thrilled to invite Ethan to the Peace Country to offer a variety of rock climbing courses.
Ethan has earned a reputation for putting up new routes, a number of first ascents and an eagerness to introduce new people to climbing. See his Instagram handle @woodside.ethan
Experiential Rock Climbing, 1 day, Tumbler Ridge, BC
- -Try real rock outdoor climbing no prior experience needed
- Minimal instructional component, but an amzing experience for guests
Intro to Rock Climbing, 1 day, Tumbler Ridge BC EXPERIENCE NEEDED?
- Learn skills needed to Top Rope outdoors, including tying in and belaying.
- Anchor building as time permits
Transition to Outdoor Climbing/Lead Climbing 1-2 days
- Lead techniques
- Anchor cleaning
- Anchor building
- Sport climbing only
- Prepares climbers to go on their own in established sport climbing areas
Intro to Trad Climbing 2 days
- Introduction to traditional climbing equipment of all types and breakdown of strengths and weaknesses of the different components.
- Passive VS. Active protection
- Lead protection strategies
- Mock leads to gain experience and coaching
- Pitons, what they are and how we use them
Skills for Big Mountains 2+ days
Day 1: Introduction to traditional climbing equipment and its use in the mountain environment
- What it is, how much we need, when we need 1, 2, or 3 piece anchors
- Coaching gear placements, mock leads
- Overview of natural protection such as trees, rock horns, boulders, body belays
- Piton work
Day 2: Moving through moderate terrain & short pitching (this will happen at a controlled area where we can move up and down short sections of 3,4 & 5th class terrain without high exposure)
- Coiling the rope on the body, different rope lengths for different applications
- How to short pitch a “crux” or steep section
- Different belay techniques
- Rappels/downclimbing in exposed terrain
- Building rappel anchors to leave behind
ETHAN WOODSIDE BIO
Some of his First Ascents are
- No Lights on Fridays 5.8 A0 (5.10) 340m Trad
- Rockies Ringlock 5.9 125m Trad
- Filthy with Minerals 5.8 140m Trad
- East Ridge of Mt Abraham, 5.10c 9p 300m Trad
- Starts by navigating for 400m through towers along the ridge, followed by 9 pitches of traditional climbing with two 5.10 pitches guarding the final easier ground.
Bringing up guides to the North is a big undertaking with guides traveling a long way to arrive in the region. For this reason, we would like to see either full payment or a 10% booking commitment for each course to hold your spot. Course registrations will close March 31st of 2024. This gives the guide time to book other work if courses don’t fill up. If you would like to put down a deposit, the team will send you an invoice with a payment schedule. You must reach out via email if you need this option.
Deposits will be non-refundable and full payment will be due March 31st. You are welcome to transfer your course/trip to another person, sell it on FB but we cannot offer refunds for these events. Commitment from guests is key to the success of our small Tour Operation.
Will be provided if for any reason Untamed Tours has to cancel the course or of we do not get enough registrations to run courses. Refunds are provided (-10% booking fee) up to March 31st. Refunds are not provided after March 31st. You CAN transfer your spot to someone else.
Williston Lake Climbing Trip – see SHOP
July 15th – 19th 2024
This is an experience of a lifetime!
We have a 10 person charter board secured, a place to backcountry camp, and a certified ACMG Rock Guide to lead & guide small groups.